Some electrical problems in your home can wait until you can call an electrician at your leisure; a light that isn't working or a consistent slowdown of power can often be checked when it's most convenient, and don't usually indicate an emergency. However, some problems in the home should be checked as soon as possible and not ignored for any length of time. Note when you want to call for an emergency electrician to your home and why this can be so important for your safety.
1. After a flood
Once you've cleared the water from your home, you want to call an electrician right away. This is because the water may have seeped into areas behind the walls and collected around sockets and outlets and the wiring that is behind the drywall and in other areas. Using this wiring when it's still wet can increase the risk of a spark and electrical fire, so an electrician should check on the condition of the wires and note if they too need replacing. This should be done before you use any electrical devices in the home.
2. You hear popping, singeing, sizzling, and other odd noises behind the walls
Popping noises often mean that a wire is bare or frayed and the circuit of electricity pops when it reaches this point. This can singe the building materials behind the walls, and you might hear this hissing or sizzling noise. Other odd noises, especially when you turn on an electrical device, can also mean that there is a wire that is bare and needs replacing. Don't wait to do this as bare wires can start an electrical fire at any time.
3. You turn off circuits, but still get shocked
If you want to work on an electrical appliance, such as your kitchen's garbage disposal or an overhead light, you will of course turn off the circuit breaker. If you still get any type of shock when you're connecting or disconnecting the device, you need to call an emergency electrician. Your circuit panel might be mislabeled or wires might be crossed. This can cause severe risk of electrical shock the next time you try to work on a device. It can also mean that your larger devices are not protected by the circuit breakers as they should be, so they can get overloaded very easily. This too can increase your home's risk of an electrical fire.